Google
 
Web This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2006

Stumped by Tiffany....


"Come on ya'll......I have no flipping clue how the hell I even got elected...don't ask me important goverment shit I have no idea about!"

During today's Q&A, Bush met someone in Kansas that was actually paying attention:

Q: My name is Tiffany Cooper. I’m a sophomore here at Kansas State and I was just wanting to get your comments about education. Recently 12.7 billion dollars was cut from education. I was just wondering how is that supposed to help our futures?
Bush: Education budget was cut — say it again. What was cut?
Q: 12.7 billion dollars was cut from education. I’m wanting to know how is that supposed to help our futures?
Bush: At the federal level?
Q: Yes.
Bush: I don’t think we’ve actually — for higher education? Student loans?
Q: Yes, student loans.
Bush: Actually, I think what we did was reform the student loan program. We are not cutting money out of it. In other words, people aren’t going to be cut off the program. We’re just making sure it works better as part of the reconciliation package I think she’s talking about? Yeah — It is a form of the program to make sure it functions better. In other words, we’re not taking people off student loans. We’re saving money in the student loan program because it’s inefficient. So I think the thing to look at is whether or not there will be fewer people getting student loans. I don’t think so.
Secondly, on Pell Grants, we are actually expanding the number of Pell grants through our budget. Great question. The key on education is to make sure that we stay focused on how do we stay competitive into the 21st century, and I plan on doing some talking about math and science and engineering programs so that people who graduate out of college will have the skills necessary to compete in this competitive world. But I think i’m right on this. I will check when I get back to Washington, but thank you for your question.
Filed under: ,

Student Loans: On Dec. 21, 2005, the Senate passed $12.7 billion in cuts to education programs — “the largest cut in student college loan programs in history.” Vice President Cheney cast the deciding vote in favor of the cuts. The bill also fixed the interest rate on student loans at 6.8 percent, “even if commercial rates are lower.” Despite Bush’s claims, students will be left off the program.
Pell Grants: Pell Grants have been frozen or cut since 2002; they are now stuck at a maximum of $4,050. In his 2000 election campaign, President Bush promised to increase the maximum Pell Grant amount to $5,100. “From 2004 to 2005, 24,000 students lost their Pell grants, according to a report pre-pared by the Congressional Research Service. This was the first drop in the number of students receiving the grants in several years; the number had been growing steadily since 1999.”

5 Comments:

At Monday, January 23, 2006 4:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He really is a stupid fucker. It is embarassing.

 
At Tuesday, January 24, 2006 7:03:00 AM, Blogger nelitac said...

Welcome back......
Remember SNL's Androgynous Pat? Check this out......
http://juliasweeney.blogspot.com/

Oh, and the SNL Trivia Pursuit game, SUCKS! It is so flippin hard.
Take care!
Jo

 
At Thursday, January 26, 2006 2:11:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Uh huh. Another lie unveiled, but not on CNN, I'm willing to bet.

Sheeeit.

 
At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet he smells like horse shit and alfalfa hay...

 
At Wednesday, February 14, 2007 12:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info generic for ambien cr zyban spain Land rover discovery rating David duval pilates photos purchase lexapro online car stereo and alarm in riverside california portland me. used file cabinets Cod shipped tramadol usa zyban order online http://www.zyban-tablet.info/weight-gain-weight-loss-zyban.html Huge butt lez Johnson and johnson acuvue contact Free what is celexa 29 95 proactiv solution new 2005 s40 volvo Mature amatures free gallery

 

Post a Comment

<< Home