Google
 
Web This Blog

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Talledega Nights

I went to see Talledega Nights, the Ballad of Ricky Bobby. Aside from it's obvious humor, the politcal undertone was palpable!
I live in Tulsa where there are enough republicans to sink a battleship. I sat on the very last row, in the dead center. To my right was a man who whooped and hollered during a cameo by Dale, Jr., and had his flip-flopped feet propped up on the back of the chair behind him. I was surrounded by rednecks. I was surrounded by NASCAR fans who were too stupid to know the movie was actually making fun of them.
The political jokes were very obvious to me. The French guy was the gay 'bad guy'. . There was a mention of Halliburton, gay marriage, and even a "these colors don't run" comment. The Frenchie even mentioned that America gave the world "George Bush". The only thing that was missing was Toby Keith.
What was very obvious was the LACK of NASCAR stars in this movie. Where were the cameos? There was enough product endorsement laced throughout this movie to have Will Ferrill swimming in Wonderbread, Dominoes and Taco Bell for years to come, not to mention a honest to God Applebee's commercial in the middle of the flippin' movie!!!
In the beginning of the movie the announcers for the races were the actual Fox Sports NASCAR announcers.....then they went AWOL and NBC Sports announcers finished the movie. I wonder if during production, they realized they were participating in a movie that might offend some of their watchers, that is...
If they were smart enough to get it.
As for the movie itself, it had some slow parts, but it made up for it with laughable metaphors that would make any Democrat proud.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 22, 2006 11:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the movie. I'm personally boycotting it since the promoters were so obnoxious in advertising that they sent me spam text messages that I had to pay for!!

As for the change in broadcasters from FOX to NBC, if you were a NASCAR fan, you would know that NASCAR split the broadcast rights to get more revenue a few years back. The first half goes to FOX, the second half goes to NBC, and they alternate the kickoff Daytona 500 race.

And one more thing, not all NASCAR fans are redneck hicks. There are a lot of us blueneck hicks too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home